Association for the Chronically Mentally Ill (ACMI)
Fast Facts from the Treatment Advocacy Center
- 8.3 million adults with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder mental illness (3.3% of the population)+
- 5.5 million – approximate number with severe bipolar disorder (2.2% of the population), 51% untreated+
- 2.8 million – approximate number with schizophrenia (1.1% of the population), 40% untreated+
- 3.9 million – approximate number untreated in any given year (1.6% of the population)+
+National Institute of Mental Health, 2016
**2015 Annual Homeless Assessment Report
Consequences of Non-treatment*
- 169,000 homeless people with serious mental illness**
- 383,000 inmates with mental illness in jails and prisons
- 50% – estimated percentage of individuals with schizophrenia or bipolar who attempt suicide during their lifetimes
- 44,193 suicide deaths in 2015
- 10% – estimated percentage of homicides involving an offender with serious mental illness (approximately 1,425 per year at 2014 homicide rates)
- 29% – estimated percentage of family homicides associated with serious mental illness
- 50% – estimated percentage of mass killings associated with serious mental illness* Numbers and percentages of US adults
This is one family’s story depicting how chaotic life was for their loved one, for them, and their community. It was not until their loved one had a lengthy involuntarily stay in a Level 1 psychiatric hospital did he/she gain insight into their illness and begin recovery.
Did You Know…
ACC health plans are where patients will receive behavioral health services instead of from a Regional Behavioral Health Authorities (RBHA).
However, the RBHAs and Tribal RBHAs will continue to serve:
Foster children enrolled in the Comprehensive Medical and Dental Program (CMDP), including those CMDP members who have a CRS condition
Members enrolled with DES/DDD
Individuals determined to have a Serious Mental Illness (SMI). There will be no changes to RBHA-covered services for these members.
Health Choice Integrated Care (HCIC) will become Steward Health Choice ArizonaCentral
Mercy Maricopa Integrated Care (MMIC) will become Mercy CareSouth
Cenpatico Integrated Care (CIC) will become Arizona Complete Health – Complete Care PlanSee the current and ACC RBHA maps on the AHCCCS website.