This will be a positive step for diversion and supportive services, but what is lacking is affordable appropriate housing for those with mental health conditions. In Arizona, the wait lists have grown, and even people lucky enough to get a voucher face difficulties getting a rental unit.
We need permanent supportive housing (PSH) to ensure stability and recovery.
Originally posted on December 15th, 2022 Congress Approves the Justice and Mental Health Collaboration Reauthorization Act – CSG Justice Center – CSG Justice Center
Once signed into law, the Justice and Mental Health Collaboration Reauthorization Act of 2022 will:
- Strengthen support for mental health courts and crisis intervention teams;
- Provide support for diversion programming and training for state and local prosecutors;
- Strengthen support for co-responder teams;
- Support the integration of 988 into the existing public safety system;
- Amend allowable uses for grant funds to include suicide prevention in jails and information-sharing between mental health systems and jails/prisons;
- Amend allowable uses to include case management services and supports; and
- Clarify that crisis intervention teams can be placed in 911 call centers.